Long Island Heart Associates is dedicated to participation in clinical research that will provide patients with the latest opportunities in diagnostic and treatment options. The New York Heart Research Foundation (NYHRF) was established in 2002 by Dr. Steven S. Shayani to guarantee that his patients would receive the most advanced treatments and therapies to ensure highest quality care. The NYHRF is also committed to the improvement of clinical practice and promotion of scientific inquiry, communication, and advancement of education for the benefit of health care professionals and the public at large. Long Island Heart Associates in Partnership with the New York Heart Research Foundation participate in clinical trials at the Mineola, NY location. (Note: Patients are welcomed to inquire and may receive full coverage for their treatment when participating in a clinical trial.)
New York Heart Research Foundation Board of Directors:
- Steven S. Shayani, M.D., F.A.C.C., F.S.N.C. – President
- Steven M. Zeldis, M.D., F.A.C.C. – Secretary
- Benjamin Ghodsi – Treasurer
- Patricia Hodnett, R.N., M.S.N., C.C.R.C. – Clinical Research Administrator
Ongoing studies include:
- “Analysis of LDL Subfractions in patients with elevated LDL cholesterol without evidence of Atherosclerosis by Ultrafast Multiscan CT.” Dr. Steven S. Shayani and Dr. Steven M. Zeldis are both principal investigators for this clinical trial. This study is a New York Heart Research Foundation Investigator Initiated Study and is currently taking place at the Long Island Heart Associates Mineola location.
Recently completed studies include:
- The ATHENA Clinical Trial With Dronedarone (Multaq (R)) – This particular study was conducted nationwide and focuses on the lastest treatment for the common disease known as Atrial Fibrillation. According to Medical News Today, Dronedarone (Multaq (R)) is the first treatment used for Atrial Fibrillation that decreases the risk of hospitalization and/or death in patients with Atrial Fibrillation.